Warblerneck

"This fog is thick as peanut butter."

"You mean pea soup."

"You eat what you like and I'll eat what I like!"

- Yukon Cornelius and Hermey the Elf

Friday, March 09, 2007

Jessica

Eleven years ago, a young woman found herself alone for the first time in her life. Moving to a new job and a new town meant that family and friends were all far away and she didn't realize how very lonely life would be.

She begged her landlord for permission to get a kitten. Permission granted, a search of local shelters was made, and the girl found herself on a two hour drive to the only one that had kittens. But when she arrived, she wasn't able to look at any kittens, because the most beautiful grey cat she'd ever seen kept getting in the way. The cat meowed and meowed and followed the woman around the cage. Thus picked by a persistent cat, the young woman had no choice but to adopt her.

The cat instantly made herself at home.

The cat sat in the window every day and waited for her new mom to come home. And the young woman wasn't so lonely anymore.

She brought the cat with her on eight moves, across three states, and that cat never once complained. The cat took every new adventure in stride and helped the young woman weather several storms.

She got in trouble on occasion.




She was always ready for a snuggle. In fact, she was insistent about it and never took "not now" for an answer. She left her fur on everything.

She lived a long, happy life, and put up with other housemates who made her share the young woman's attention.

And then this morning, she died.

Goodbye J. I will love you forever.

3 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i knew when the story started where it was going to end and i still cried to see it actually said. she was one wonderful creature. i will never forget her or let her out of my heart either.

i'm so sorry, girl. :(

are you sure it was only 8 moves??

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too was hoping against hope that the story wasn't going to end the way I thought it was going to. Oh, my dear friend, I am so sad for you. I know what Jessica meant to you and the two of you have been through so much together. She was one of the most wonderful and THE most beautiful cat I've ever known and I love her, too. I have lots of memories of her and I will be sure to concentrate on them this evening and have my own memorial for Miss Jessica.

Jessica was such a lucky cat to have you for a mom and to have 2 great siblings (Mr. Zeke and Ms. Mango).

I'm going to call you after I finish this but in case I don't reach you, please know that I'm hurting and crying with you. I love you, Wendy.

Lots of Hugs,
Lula's Mom

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

****************

 

Post a Comment

<< Home