Warblerneck

"This fog is thick as peanut butter."

"You mean pea soup."

"You eat what you like and I'll eat what I like!"

- Yukon Cornelius and Hermey the Elf

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Unexpected Cookies

You wake up in the morning, and you have no idea what awaits you that day...For me, my plans were to try to squeeze in a knitting group night and some grocery shopping before the big storm arrived. I've been saving money and trying to diet at the same time by eating nothing but soup and frozen vegetables for a couple of weeks and I thought maybe I could pick up a little treat. I had no idea that when I arrived at the library for my knitting group a fund-raising bake sale would be in full swing.

In our meeting room, three tables were covered from one end to the other with cake, cookies, brownies....The whole room reeked of chocolate. ummmmm Those savvy librarians of course allowed us to have our group in the same room, knowing that our willpower could not hold out for long. In addition to the cookies, Steve, our lone male member of the group (who "crochets like the wind" as described by another group member) brought in several loaves of home made bread to contribute. And hey! I'd been planning on buying bread.

So home I came with the bread and a few groceries, including milk for....

these! At first I thought they were leaves and a little flower in the middle, but no - look! They're lips!! And the middle one is an X for kissing! Strawberry frosted vanilla kissey cookies!


Unexpected cookies!!! Can life get any better than this?

It sure can!

A snow day for Wendy! Yay!!!

Just look at that driveway. Wendy's not going anywhere today.

So here's what I did for 5 hours this morning. This is the state of my roof after last week's storm. I'm new to all this and didn't know any better - evidently, this is not a cute eyebrow for my house, it's an ice dam. Very bad thing. So last week I bought a roof rake and tried to get the worst of it off. But it's about 3 feet of snow packed down hard into 1 1/2 feet and I'm short, so I can only reach the front of the roof.

Here's the state of affairs this morning. You can just barely see the little ridge between the higher stuff I couldn't reach, and the new snow towards the front of the roof.

And here's the front of the house, that I didn't get to last week at all. See the little horizontal lines showing the layers? Just like layers of rock in a cliff.

And halfway through the morning...Whew! Hard work, but very satisfying. I need a personal assistant to do the filming for me while I work. Then you could see the way the snow cascades down over the edge of the roof. I couldn't stop - it's sort of addictive. Unfortunately, I haven't grown any taller, so I still can't get at the snow further up on the roof. I hope the roof holds...

(I didn't want to work on that middle section for obvious reasons...)

Oops. All that snow had to go somewhere. So then I had to dig a path through the piles of ice and snow so the fuel man could deliver my heating oil. Poor Zeke looks miserable, doesn't he?

....and then I went inside and fell asleep on the couch.

Here's wishing you some unexpected cookies of your own!!

**Updated To Add**
I just checked the local newspaper website to find that all roads in my county are closed to anyone but snow plows and emergency vehicles. Wow! Guess I'll go make a cup of hot chocolate.

5 Comments:

At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. You know what they say about being on a diet.. and eating the broken cookies? How they have no calories. Well... that, of course, is silly.

But it is a fact that 5 hours of snow shoveling and snow raking in sub-freezing weather directly cancels out the calories in homemade cookies and hot chocolate, and then some. I think you still made out in the deal!

You go girl!!

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a known scientific occurance that the probability of cookies manifesting in the immediate area you are inhabiting is directly proportional to the amount of will power you generate while dieting...and inversely proportional to the sugar boogies running around in your blood stream.
In other words...cookies happen. Get used to it.
Regarding your roof ridgeline refrigeration system...your dad should be able to help with that lil problem by installing a heater cord and a convenient outdoor gang box with a temperature sensitive timer switch...that or a small thermonuclear heatlamp. Either way it's gonna get slushy.

Darth Uncle

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and would 'darth uncle' be the supplier of the home-made bread by any chance??

that snow is awesome. the dad heretofore mentioned put such a heater cord on the roof line of our old row house so he might be cajoled into such a thing once more.... some cookies might do the trick. :)

i can see that same dad will be in pig heaven when we arrive on your doorstep tues.

 
At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap, that's a lot of snow. How do you exist? I cannot even imagine. I have never had to knock snow off of my roof. What happens to the really tall houses? How the heck do they get the snow off of them? I'm tired just thinking about it. I'm glad you're okay. I've been worried about you and all the snow. Makes our measley (is that how you spell it?)3 inches of snow with 2 inches of ice on top of it seem kinda silly although it sure was a challenge feeding the Screech Owls and Kestrels this morning. I was slipping and a' sliding all over the place. I'm surprised I didn't break something. I'd go into an enclosure with a handful of 10 or so mice, fall on my arse, all these dead mouse bodies would go flying everywhere and I'd just sit there and laugh with the owls looking at me like I'm an idiot as owls do so well. I hope no one was watching, tee hee hee! I hope you were able to relax a bit and enjoy not going to work. Snow days are so much fun!

Hugs,
Lula's winter-hating Mom

 
At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, "Unexpected Cookies" would make a great band name, don't you think?

Hugs,
Lula's sore, tired and cold mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home