Warblerneck

"This fog is thick as peanut butter."

"You mean pea soup."

"You eat what you like and I'll eat what I like!"

- Yukon Cornelius and Hermey the Elf

Sunday, January 21, 2007

SNOW!!!!! The Sage Continues

Part 2: A Scientific Discussion of Snowshoeing

Now I'll admit, at first I was a little worried. The snowshoes didn't feel like they were holding me up on top of the snow.

So I decided to do an experiment. Except by then the camera battery had run down and I didn't get any pictures. Not to worry: after going inside for fresh batteries and to blow my nose (gross!) I came back out to recreate the action for my faithful readers.

The following is a re-enaction of true events:

First, observe how deeply the snowshoe goes into the snow.

But look! The snowshoe-less foot sinks MUCH deeper! Fantastic! They DO work!

Now we need to do something very important. We have to trample down a big spot for Zeke to go poopy. I'll tell you - there is nothing funnier than a dog trying to go poop in deep snow and his butt keeps getting all snowy. He didn't think it was funny though.

Here's Zeke pretending to be a Siberian Tiger. He has such an imagination.

Would you like to see up and down my street?
UP:

DOWN:


And finally, a few things I learned this weekend.
1. -10 degrees is a little chilly.
2. Walking backwards in snowshoes is very hard, but possible.
3. Old 5 foot tall flagpoles make great ski poles, but it is a little embarrassing.
4. It is very difficult to walk in snowshoes when a large dog is standing on the back of them.
4a. Dogs do not understand this.
5. Whacking snow off of pine limbs with a broom, making the branch shoot back up in the air and sending torrents of snow down on one's head is really. freaking. fun.

4 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. Merganser-pants! I've returned from the tropics and what do we get the evening following my return? An inch of snow and ice. Nice. Welcome fucking home, Julie and her mom. Here's some crappy weather for ya to make your tropical weather withdrawl even harder. Oh, stop laughing, Miss 24 inches or so of snow person. It sucked big time. Your snow looks much nicer but I can't say I'm jealous of the -10 degrees. The snow shoe demonstration was quite interesting but I want to know why they do that? I don't understand. So, are you going to work tomorrow? I guess they don't close stuff down like they do here. Anyways, I'm organizing my Riviera Maya pics and will get them to ya soon. I have to send them on a disk to my bro and he is going to upload them onto Shutterfly so it may take a bit. We had a spectacular time. I'll fill you in when we talk. Sigh....back to work tomorrow.

Hugs,
Lula's tan mom

 
At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEAH!! You got snow!! Cool!

And yes... as I recall... -10°F is cold enough to make your nostrils stick together when you inhale...right? Quick... run outside and try it...

Hope the county is good at taking care of the roads.

Have a blast... I'm jealous... my family isn't.. but I definatley am!!

Love ya

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah... I forgot...

Call me up and I'll teach you how to make the cool degree (°} sign on your computer...

Yes... I am a nerd...married one...gave birth to one...work with them all...

Nerds are people too... sort of...

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

say, can you figure how to share the vacation pics and the degree sign with the rest of your fans? maybe just a sampling.

maybe zeke needs his own snowshoes. who wouldn't want to stand where the snow isn't so deep??

i am jealous that you've had more opportunity than we ever did in alaska to say it's tupelo, honey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home