Warblerneck

"This fog is thick as peanut butter."

"You mean pea soup."

"You eat what you like and I'll eat what I like!"

- Yukon Cornelius and Hermey the Elf

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Warblerback

Forget warblerneck, this evening I got warblerback. For those of you who don't know what "warblerneck" is, it ain't something kinky, you buncha sickos. It's the pain in the neck birders get while staring straight up to the top of a very tall tree, looking for a very tiny bird (warbler) who doesn't want to be seen. Yes, it's worth it. Unbelievably worth it.

So today, Zeke and I went up the road to Mom and Dad's place. Guys, you've gotta come up with a name for your place! But that's another blog entry altogether.

First, there was the pair of ravens who circled very close to me while I was standing in a big open meadow. Even when I started giggling and calling them cutie pies*, they didn't seem afraid at all. One landed nearby in a tree to croak at me, and then moved on to a farther tree, where (duh) it occurred to me that I was holding a camera.


*I'm a very serious and solemn birder.

Then the poor guys got mobbed by song birds and flew off.

While I was wandering off after the ravens, I saw something small and pretty in a nearby tree and decided to try my snazzo "camera-in-the-binoculars" technique. While already difficult, this is made harder by my "binocular bra." It's a little harness that lets you wear the binocs around the shoulders instead of around the neck. Shut up! I already know I'm a dork, but this is more comfortable.

What?! You want a picture? Fine.



Oh wow. That looks worse than I thought.

Action shot!



Man, I really need to get a life. This is getting serious.

So the "camera in the binocs" technique requires that I streeeeetch the harness out really far, and then leeeeaaaan really far back and crane my neck, trying desperately to find the birdy in the little display on the camera. (All the while being viciously eaten alive by hoards of stinging, biting, evil flies.) It's almost impossible, but this was a very patient and helpful warbler. I mean, she really hung around for a long time, watching my frantic contortions, cursing and slapping at flies. Amazing.

I'm thinking.....female yellow rumped warbler? I thought I saw a flash of a yellow hiney a little later on....




I can't believe this worked! Ouch! My back!

3 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, that is one cool picture of the bird though. how's your back today? talk to your dad. he thought it was doable to modify a camera tripod to allow for use of both the binnocs and camera.

he tried to get on the blog the other night but there was too much rain in the area to allow internet access.

how about some bug repellant? any interest in a head screen? (for in between binnoc/camera uses)

your house is beginning to shape up and look really cool. :)

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there.

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home