Warblerneck

"This fog is thick as peanut butter."

"You mean pea soup."

"You eat what you like and I'll eat what I like!"

- Yukon Cornelius and Hermey the Elf

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Safety First!



On Friday, Zeke wore his "hunter orange" collar. You can't be too careful when the Vice President's in town. Dick.

We waited until Saturday to risk another walk in the woods. This time at Mom and Dad's new place. We walked on the road and saw many fascinating things:

(By the way, I just discovered you can click on the pictures to enlarge them. Maybe you already figured that out and I'm just slow.)





See how the sun shines through the berries? These are everywhere - I wonder what they are.

Let's play a game. It's called, "find the frog":

I snuck up on this guy for a picture, then realized there were frogs everywhere in the water! All of them no more than 2 inches long.

And look who I found on the road!! I included my unmanicured finger for scale. He's soooo tiny!



I've never in my life seen a toad this small. I love miniatures and baby toads are one of my favorite things in the world.

OK, and this is even more exciting. Look what I found in the woods behind my house. Can you see it?



I'll zoom in. This is a snazzy technique - I stuck the camera lens inside my binoculars.



OK, so it's not very clear - it's hard to hold them both still. Sooo? I'm afraid to ask. Is it? Could it be? Is it a Wood Thrush? Oh God, I would just die of joy.

I won't go back there again. I don't want to disturb her. She held Perfectly. Still. the entire time. I was worried about scaring her off the nest, or attracting predators to her, so I pretended to be a "tourist" and looked all around, took random pictures of stuff, and then snuck a few shots. I must be very entertaining. I hope none of my neighbors can see me back there.

1 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home