Warblerneck

"This fog is thick as peanut butter."

"You mean pea soup."

"You eat what you like and I'll eat what I like!"

- Yukon Cornelius and Hermey the Elf

Thursday, October 05, 2006

10 Songs

OK, so I've been away from home all week, back in Baltimore, training someone else to do my job. And guys, I am SO homesick for New York!! WAAAAHHH!! If there were ever any doubts (which there weren't on my end) about me staying in New York, there certainly can't be any now. I miss my new house and my ruffed grouse and phoebes and weird stuff in the woods so bad I feel sick. BUT, that being said, I have had a great time visiting with friends and well, frankly, eating everything in sight. Cafe Hon cheesesteak subs tomorrow!!!

Now on to your regularly scheduled blog post:
This little "meme" has been going around some blogs lately and I wanted to join in. So, 10 songs. I decided to just force myself to pick the first 10 that came to mind and if wrote this tomorrow even, most of the songs would probably change. When people ask me for my favorite something, I usually freeze and can't think of anything - until days later at 3 in the morning. So:

1. "Fade to Black" by Metallica. This song, in addition to being my favorite ever, also very literally saved my life. And according to the band members themselves, who get this said to them by thousands of fans, it's had that effect on many, many other people.

2. "Hemorrhage (In My Hands)" by Fuel. This is my second favorite song ever. Fantastic song. "You don't remember, but I do."

3. The entire soundtrack to the movie "Amelie". My cousin gave me a copy of this and I'll be grateful to him forever. It's a style of music totally unlike what I normally listen to, but I was instantly in love with it. Who knew accordion music could be so hauntingly beautiful?

4. The soundtrack to "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou," particularly "Man of Constant Sorrow." Awesome music!

5. "The Vulture Song" from Disney's The Jungle Book. Having had the pleasure (I really mean that) of working with real vultures during my time as a zoo keeper, I really think this is great theme song for vultures. They get a bad rap, but vultures (particularly the North and South American ones) can be really sweet, wonderful creatures. They can't help being how God made them (or evolution, or whatever). They are what they are and without them, the world would be a very nasty, stinky place. So hug a vulture today! (Or just blow kisses in their general direction.)

--why so many soundtracks? who knows?

6. "Toccata and Fugue in D minor" by Bach - played on a REAL pipe organ.

7. "Here It Goes Again" by OK GO. This is my "song of the moment". I can't get enough of watching those guys dancing on the treadmills! Even on my grumpiest of days, that video never fails to make me laugh and clap my hands. (What a dork I am.) But now the song has really grown on me too.

8. "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" by the Charlie Daniels Band. Stop laughing! I love that song. And just as good is a local Baltimore radio station's version, "The Devil Went Down to Dundalk" where Johnny races his Chevy against the devil's Mustang. Oh come on, LISTEN you know you want to.

9. "With You" by Linkin Park. I love this band so very much. I know almost all the words to every song. But I promise not to sing them in public.

10. See? Now this one's the hardest. Out of all the songs in the world, I can only pick one more? Too much pressure! OK, so randomly, "Cheap Seats" by Alabama. SUCH a feel-good, summertime song. And it makes me think of the year I spent in South Dakota, where it was the law that you listen to country music at least 6 hours a day.

4 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you knew I had to respond to this with MY list whether you want to know it or not. I just love doing these things. Don't know why. I suppose it's because I learn a lot about other people but also, as one gets older (not that I'm old or anything, damnit!) it's very nostalgic to look back and think about the music that shaped my life especially since music was and is such a huge part of it. Okay here we go in no particular order:

1) How Soon Is Now - The Smiths
I cannot tell you how many nights I'd sit around and cry and sing along with this song "I am human and I need to be loved. Just like everybody else does" in my late teens and early 20's. I'm sure that the song means different things to different people but the line "There's a club if you'd like to go. You could meet somebody who really loves you. So you go and you stand on your own. And you leave on your own and you go home and you cry and you want to die". How many folks can relate to that and some point in their lives?

2)Hemorrhage (In My Hands) - Fuel
One of the best songs ever written.

3) Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode Simple melody, simple words, incredibly powerful song.

4)Rhiannon - Fleetwood Mac
I wanted to be Stevie Nicks when I was in Jr. High. She was so cool and goth. Way before her time and she sang like no one else.

5) London Calling(album)- The Clash
This band changed my life. It was my first taste of music that actually had a message.

6) A Night At The Opera - Queen
Classic album and lots of good memories associated with it.

7) REM - Murmur
Another life changing band for me before they became commercial (in my opinion). Murmur is one of the most beautiful, darkest albums ever made.

8) Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away) - Deftones
You knew there had to be a Deftones song on here. One of my favorite bands in the world

9) Handel's Messiah - George Frideric Handel
An absolute masterpiece. I listen to it all year round. It's so uplifting and beautiful and it makes me cry happy tears every time.

10) Wishing Well - Bob Mould
Formerly the singer and guitarist for Husker Du, one of my favorite punk bands. Another dark and introspective song. Kills me every time I hear it.

Hugs, Lula's Mom

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Wendy Merganser said...

OH! I never knew you liked Handel's Messiah! I love it too! Mom and I went to see it performed a couple of times and it was fantastic. That little guy with the trumpet gets me every time. It's so joyful!!!

Christmas is coming!!! YAAAY!!

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, an old fogie wants to weigh in now. but first i have to say that i want to hear this 'hemorrhage'.

also, i have to concur on tocatta and fugue on an organ but another version not to be missed is by vanessa mae on the violin. she was around 18 a few years ago when she produced a 'wow' of a cd of classic and pop music.

i guess it's ok to use things that are not 'songs so here goes:

1. 'the unchained melody' as sung by the righteous brothers is my all time favorite. it came out the spring i was home with the mumps in the 5th grade and time moved So Slowly.

2. the sound track for 'the lord of the rings'.

3. 'in the steppes of central asia' by alexander borodin.

4. 'ecstasy of gold' especially as played by metallica and the san francisco orchestra on s & m. it was made famous by 'the good, the bad and the ulgy' i guess. it comes from a larger piece, maybe made for the movie, serge leone suite by morricone.

5. 'arrival of the queen of sheba' from the opera 'solomon' by handel.

6. 'the lark ascending' by vaughan williams especially as played by another young violinist, janine jansen.

7. 'russian easter' by rimsky-korsakov'

8. 'concertino bianco for piano and chamber orchestra in c major' by georgs pelecis on an album titled 'mosaic: music from eastern europe from the 50's on'. the piece is exhuberent.

9. pacabelle's canon and i don't think either word is spelled correctly.

10. finally, 'try to remember' from the longest running broadway play ever:| 'the fantasticks'. i got to see it maybe 30 years after it premiered in the early 50's. i heard the song long before i knew of the play. the late jerry orbach first sang it on broadway; the play was his ticket to fame. the first verse goes something like: 'try to remember the kind of september when grass was green and grain so yellow........and if you remember then follow your dream..........

ok, the time and circumstances require at least one 1960's protest song as an honorable mention: 'where have all the flowers gone?'

now when can we get together to play the stuff on our lists for the rest of the group? i want to hear them all.

 
At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kathyjh,
I love the Fantasticks!!! I went to see it off broadway when I was maybe 12 with my dad of all people! This was when he was living in NYC. It was very memorable because growing up, my parents played that album a lot and I knew the words to all of the songs. They also listened Pete Seeger and I believe he sang "where have all the flowers gone". They both listened to a lot of classical music but they also loved Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Peter Paul and Mary, the soundtrack to "Hair" and stuff like that. If you all had known eachother at that time, I bet you would have been good friends!

Hugs,
Lula's Mum

 

Post a Comment

<< Home