Warblerneck

"This fog is thick as peanut butter."

"You mean pea soup."

"You eat what you like and I'll eat what I like!"

- Yukon Cornelius and Hermey the Elf

Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Truth.


I created this blog to be a fun way to stay connected with friends and talk about my knitting and my life in Central New York. I intend to keep it as such, but last night I went to see Al Gore's “An Inconvenient Truth” and I feel compelled to act on what I saw.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the theater packed. They must have turned people away because I didn't see a single empty seat. The movie will only be shown 6 times here and I hope it is sold out each time. Way to go, Utica! The audience was great – as spellbound as I was throughout and we ended with a thunderous round of applause and cheers. Al Gore knows how to work a crowd.

My first reaction to the film was rage – rage at the criminal negligence and incompetence in our government that has brought us to this point. I voiced in a recent conversation to a friend that I hadn't decided if George Bush was grossly incompetent or truly evil. Now I know. His actions are those of a man completely consumed by his own lust for power and wealth, no matter the cost – even to the future generations of his own family. Because truly, if the world continues in the way it is going, there will be absolutely nothing left, even for the wealthy.

At times it was hard to concentrate on what Gore was saying, because I was still reeling from the statement before. It was like being told that a close friend or relative had been murdered, then being asked to concentrate on a puzzle, over and over and over, murder after murder. The film does what our useless government has been unable to do in counter argument – provide concrete scientific evidence of global warming, supported by countless scientists from all over the world.

As Oprah loves to say, “Now you know. And you can't continue to pretend that you don't know.” If we learn this “Inconvenient Truth” and continue to act as we always have, then we are just as guilty as the oil and energy companies, just as guilty as our insane, power-mad president.

So, all of the above being said, what am I personally going to do about this? I thought about it all last night, and all day today. What follows is what I consider to be the very least I can do, the easy stuff. I'm still pondering what else I can do, but this is a start. I want to make this public, in front of all (what? four?) of you who read this blog, in the hopes that it will keep me honest and on track.

From this day forward, I make the following pledge:

I will immediately reduce my carbon dioxide emissions to zero, beginning with the easy way out, offsetting my energy usage by buying renewable energy.

Throughout the next year and years to come, I will continue reducing my actual carbon dioxide emissions as much as possible, in part by taking the following actions:

I will increase my recycling efforts, not only when it's convenient, but recycling as much of my garbage as I am able to.

I will buy as many local products as possible, reducing the amount of emissions spent shipping products to me. This has the happy side effect of supporting local farmers and local businesses, which fortunately for me, includes the makers of Saranac Ale.

I will buy as much organically grown produce as possible. Since migratory birds are near and dear to my heart, this includes buying only shade-grown, organic coffee. Coffee is a luxury, so I can't use expense as an excuse.

Beginning next growing season, I will grow as much of my own produce as possible.

I will maintain my car, and drive it as little as possible, reducing my consumption of gasoline.

I will only buy appliances that are energy efficient.

I will replace my furnace with a more efficient one and maintain it regularly.

During winter, I will keep the temperature in my house as cold as I can tolerate, in order to save fuel. (God help me.)

I will not buy air conditioning units.

When it is time to replace my current vehicle, I will buy a hybrid, or if there are any available, an electric car. (A girl can dream.)

As soon as I can figure out how, I will keep a record of my progress on my blog, and update it on a regular basis with links and tips for anyone else interested in reducing global warming.

If you're still reading, thanks! I promise not to get all preachy, preachy and this will remain a fun blog about weird stuff in the woods, birds and knitting (and maybe someday quilting again, who knows.) But I feel that I have been enormously blessed in life and that I need to earn some of these blessings by doing my part.

If anyone wants to argue with me, hey, that's what democracy is all about. But you damn well better have seen the movie first.

In knitting news, I cast on a new pair of socks in the theater and guess what? Another knitter sat down next to me! Very exciting.

A message to the giant toad who ran across my street as I was on the way home from the movie, causing me to slam on the brakes and swerve like a drunken teenager on prom night: Watch out! Cute butt!

1 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you go, girl. a very sober and well written review. do you suppose the ceo's and president expect to be on the first rocket leaving? how else to explain their blatant disregard for their families' futures, not just their own.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home