Warblerneck

"This fog is thick as peanut butter."

"You mean pea soup."

"You eat what you like and I'll eat what I like!"

- Yukon Cornelius and Hermey the Elf

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Pssssst!

Don't look now - but things are actually growing - OUTSIDE - all by themselves!


No blog last weekend partly because I was busy being OUTSIDE and then was too tired to move when I finally came inside.

At Mom and Dad's place, I experienced something new. Temps were in the 70's and very sunny - enough that I was uncomfortably warm. aaaaaaahhhhh! But there was still a lot of snow on the ground. And it was hard snow too - not melty, mushy snow. In some places, there were still maybe 8 inches of snow left, but there was no cold radiating off of it at all. Very, very weird.

In other news, the little vegetable garden in my living room is actually growing! In fact, as the pictures below will show, the Bush Garden Beans kind of scared me a little. I swear to you, these pictures are only 24 hours apart.

I was so excited to see new baby beans juuuuust poking out of the dirt. Awww! They're growing!


But the next night, it was growing dark by the time I came into the living room and I walked past the plants not really looking at them and they startled me! I was actually a little freaked out and afraid to touch them.


What do they WANT?


Another day, I noticed they were leaning way over to find the sun, so I turned the pot around and left the room. ONE HOUR later, they were standing straight up. I could have watched them stand upright. Honestly - that's not natural.


Now I'm standing waaay back from the table to get the plants in the shot.

Phew! Now we know why the story was Jack and the Beanstalk, as opposed to Jack and the Basil, which evidently can't be bothered to start growing yet.

Wow, I'm kind of stretching for good blog material huh? Making you watch beans grow and stuff...I'll try to do better next time.

6 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Isn't it amazing how fast those little suckers grow? I'm very excited for you. I think my favorite garden veggies are green beans. Isn't gardening addictive? Keep us posted. It's not at all boring for me to hear other peoples plant tales! Yesterday, Alice and I went to the native plant sale in Mt. Airy. This was my very first one and I was a real dork and already had marked the plants I wanted to buy. Well, we got there at 9:15 and it started at 9:00 and almost all of the plants were gone. Damn! But I still got some Cardinal flower, Bee Balm, some daisies, Columbine, some nice ground cover with yellow flowers and a really bizarre, pink flower called "hot lips". Then we went to 4 other plant places to try and find the plants I couldn't find at the native sale with no luck but it sure was fun! So, in the end, I spent about 80 buckeroos on approximately 20 plants and then I am told that I shouldn't put them in the ground until after Mother's Day so I have all of these plants in my freakin' house. I have already fallen in love with all of them and will be heartbroken if they don't make it. So, then I go out side and start clearing out all of our flower beds. It was such a nice day and I was very, very happy. Then, I fell through a 3 foot hole where the basement window is located and I think I broke my ankle. Great, just f-ing great......I'll keep you posted. I'm going to Patient First in a few hours.

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK.. you shouldn't be suprised. Leave it to my brother to move to the "Twillight Zone". 70 degrees and a half foot of packed snow... OK then.

Actually, Rod Serling was from up there (as were we all...).. and most of the episodes took place up there.

You should be OK though.. I think... just don't sleep in the same room as those bean plants... and don't leave the house in pea soup fog... yah know... cuz you'll end up in another reality.. K?

Check for large pods in the a.m. near the dog too..better yet.. have the dog sleep in the room with you.. yeah...

:)
Oh wait... you are in another reality.. damn... didn't warn you soon enough!

Note to anonymous:
.... gee... I'll think good thoughts about your ankle. Definately not cool. At least if you have to recuperate before you can plant stuff... you have a few weeks before Mom's day!

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

is that you, lula's mom out hunting native plants? hooray for you!! we went to that sale one year. arrived just as they were closing. there were a few things left. sounds like native plants are becoming more and more popular.

if you're up to a trip to the eastern shore, adkins arboretum has a sale coming up in may. details would be on there web site. but don't be late to that one either!

and irvine nature center in balto county will have a grand sale in late august. should be on their web site.

i echo anteve: good luck with the ankle. :(

say, anteve. yer gettin' to be a bit far out yerself.

now what was wendy discussing anyway...........

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Wendy Merganser said...

Good Lord, people! I post a blog entry then leave for a day and all Hell breaks loose! Try to hold yourselves together. Lula's Mom, where's my update? Are you OK?? I'll be emailing you to harass you shortly. Feel better!!!

And when you are feeling better, pray tell us about the "hot lips" flower.

So far, the beans haven't reached out to grab me as I walk by, but I do watch them very carefully, just in case.

Do you guys remember an old episode of Doctor Who that takes place in some kind of arboretum, where a giant plant (which is actaully a man in a plant suit) reaches out and grabs a guy and kills him? Well I do.

 
At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pods.

Definitely.

Pods.

Memory test.

 
At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

.....feedme.....
....feed...me......

FEEEEED...MEEEEEEEE!!!!....

BaaaaaDoop.


Darth Uncle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home