Warblerneck

"This fog is thick as peanut butter."

"You mean pea soup."

"You eat what you like and I'll eat what I like!"

- Yukon Cornelius and Hermey the Elf

Saturday, July 21, 2007

The Owl Has Arrived

I read a story once about a man whose adventures took him far away from other people for many years. A minor detail to the story line was that he'd brought with him the very last book from his favorite author. He had never read it, and even though he was alone and had this book with him, he wouldn't read it. I remember thinking: Just read it, you idiot! What if something happens and you never get to read it?!

But now I understand. Because today I hold in my hands the very last unread Harry Potter book. I've been sitting here with it for an hour. I've read the entire jacket, the title page, the dedication, even the publisher's notes about copyright and permissions. But I can't make myself start reading yet.


This is that moment. The one right before you experience something wonderful (I hope) and you know it's coming, but it hasn't happened yet. This is one of those moments that you only get to live once.

Muggles might think all this sounds silly, but some of these books comforted me through some really hard times. And others were read during some really wonderful times in my life. The memories and emotions are now intertwined with the stories and characters. And just think - there are people all over the world right now, opening this book for the first time just like me. They're living one of those moments.

3 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're funny... at 8:30 am when mine arrived... your uncle took pictures of the package for me too.. just like you did! I think we're nutty...(thank God..)

Read it. I hope you love it like I did. Enough in it to make you feel every emotion possible...

Surprise at some turns, and a few "I KNEW it's!!" (not as many of those, however)

Don't let anyone tell you any spoilers... and if they do... tell me who they are... I'll have a howler sent to them at work ;)

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The butler did it.

Darth Uncle

 
At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know EXATLY what you mean, Wendy. Gobbled it down really fast, then read it again for a lot of details I missed. Way worth every minute!

Janie Copes (Professor Sepoc) . . . web site's up: www.scienceoutsidethebox.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home