Warblerneck

"This fog is thick as peanut butter."

"You mean pea soup."

"You eat what you like and I'll eat what I like!"

- Yukon Cornelius and Hermey the Elf

Sunday, July 01, 2007

I Think I'll Name Him Leonard

Hey Canada! Happy Birthday! You look great - have you lost weight? Been excersizing? It must be that Universal Health Care that's doing it. Many happy returns of the day!

Mom and Dad visited last weekend and I was speculating about the local chipmunks. How their tails seem fluffier and they seem a little larger and less shy than their southern cousins. Maybe these were a different species, or a sub-species?

In the interest of science, (or maybe a door was left open?) one was helpfully invited into the house for a more close-up comparison and photo shoot.

Unfortunately, our little house guest soon discovered the many seeds dropped by Mango and the handy food and water dishes left out for Zeke and he decided to outstay his welcome. He was here for several days, occassionally "chip"ing behind me in the kitchen before I finally spotted him running across the floor in the dining room.

My informed scientific observations:

Chipmunks are nearsighted. He only seemed to actually see me when I was moving and walked right past me as I sat on the floor in the kitchen, trying not to giggle.

Chipmunks are fast.

Chipmunks are naughty.

Chipmunks jump right into havahart mousetraps if you leave them in the right spot.


(Another scientific observation: my floor is gross. Sorry.)

In addition to all the research and wildlife relocation, I've been knitting. Socks are, of course, always on the needles around here. I finished the stripey pair for Mom but forgot to take pictures before sending them on. Maybe one day I can borrow them back for pictures.

My newest pair is these:
"Embossed Leaves" socks from Interweave Knits, which I've been dying to make almost since I first started knitting, but I didn't have the pattern. Then, I was given the magazine issue for free!! Score! Here they are in green Koigu.

Here's a shot with my hand jammed inside to try to stretch out the pattern a bit. See? Leaves!

I wanted to work on something bigger too, but don't have enough yarn for a sweater. What I DO have is a lot of the same yarn I made my stripey sweater in, but in colors I didn't want to actually wear. So... a lap robe!

I was inspired by a gal at my knit group who made an awesome baby afghan in strips. So mine will be a sampler in strips of each color, with the pieces later knitted together. This section is flowers done in knit and purl. (I scavenged the flower from a pattern for a bag that I didn't like.)

Other sections will be cables or what have you. I'll just keep going until I run out of yarn or patience. Neat-o! Except I might rip this bit out and start over. I don't think I like the border....

2 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the little squirt! darn, i forgot to ask you about the house guest when we talked tonight. i'm so relieved for your sake and his that he's back outside ounce more.

your research also confirms, btw, something else i have suspected for a while now: chipmunks are too cute to possibly be legal. must have been a tight squeeze in that trap.......

now, um, did your scientific observation go far enough to establish whether it was a her or a him? we can only hope it was a him as a her might have babies this time of year but probably would have shown more interest in exiting.

well darn. no vaguely associated pun intended. the stripey socks of which you make mention are put away for winter. but i could easily pull them out and send them north. you could put them in the cedar trunk after the photoshoot.

knit on. your stuff is awesome.

 
At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leonard?? You called him Leonard?

Ist der dast reason you call him by ze name offen ze Great Grandfodder??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home