Warblerneck

"This fog is thick as peanut butter."

"You mean pea soup."

"You eat what you like and I'll eat what I like!"

- Yukon Cornelius and Hermey the Elf

Sunday, June 17, 2007

The Porcupine Whisperer

Lula's Mom mentioned in the comments: "That must have been so stressful for you." Actually, the whole story is this:

I let Zeke out to pee that evening and when he took longer to return than usual, I went out looking for him. I heard a lot of barking and at first thought it was a neighbor dog attacking Zeke. I ran back to the house to get a flashlight and when I came back realized it was Zeke barking alone and it didn't sound like any barking he'd ever done before. Then I heard him yelp... and silence. I yelled for Zeke again and I heard something big crashing through the woods towards me. In a panic I thought "Oh shit. It's not a neighbor's dog. It's a bear. It just killed Zeke and it's running at me. In the dark."

Zeke appeared out of the woods and laid down on the ground about 15 feet from me. In the dark it looked like he had a huge tear in his neck. (It was just his thick coat making shadows with the flashlight.)

So really, when I walked over to him and he had only a snoot-full of porcupine quills, I felt a rush of RELIEF!! And then, yes, the whole episode turned out to be really, really funny.

So all's well that ends well, and neither one of us has been eaten by a bear. Yet.

Now enough of that - who wants to see some sexy tail?



Ooh yeah. That's what I'm talkin' about.

2 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) Thank goodness Zeke is OK now... and that neither of you were eaten by a rogue bear beastie...

2) Zeke is not stupid... he would only be considered stupid if he forgot this encounter and ever stuffed his muzzle into the backside of another pointy creature.. (cactii don't count)

3)Maybe you can trade those quills for yarn???

4) Refer to point number 1... really, really glad no one was eaten by any woodland creature.. in the dark...eeek!

5) Nice tail...

 
At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, baby! Let me at him! What a ssssssssssexxxxxxxxxxxxxy guy! The one I saw in CT was doing the same thing and it was so funny b/c he could have cared less that I was standing about 30 feet away from him!

Hope Zeke's face is better. Was there any swelling? Any big gaping holes? I'm so curious because it just looks so painful. Looks as though they went in kinda deep? How hard was it to pull them out? Ya want me to shut up with the questions?

Hugs,
Lula's Mum

 

Post a Comment

<< Home