Warblerneck

"This fog is thick as peanut butter."

"You mean pea soup."

"You eat what you like and I'll eat what I like!"

- Yukon Cornelius and Hermey the Elf

Saturday, December 29, 2007

More Weird Stuff I Found in the Woods

I actually found this particular weird stuff in mid-November, but I've been a big slacker about blogging.

Isn't this fasssscinating?


At first glance, it looks like clumps of deer hair laying on the ground. (Which I've also found, and trust me, is rather stinky. Don't pick it up and sniff it. Really.)

But actually, it's ice that's evidently been extruded from the ground just like those awesome little Play-doh guys that could grow Play-doh hair and then you'd give them a haircut with these plastic scissors? Remember those? Damn, I really wanted that as a kid...


What? Oh, the ice stuff...So you can actually pick clumps of it up and pick it apart and each individual piece is as fine as hair. Neat-o!

It's also REALLY, REALLY fun to step on. But I felt guilty for destroying a lovely fragile piece of nature. But I couldn't stop stepping on it. And then I was sickened by myself. And then I stepped on it one more time. Then I'll stop. Ok, one more time, then I'll stop.

ARGHHH!

4 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These pics are so beautiful.. and I have a feeling they still don't do the phenom justice. Thanks for keeping us all in the sharing loop...nothing here on LI on the frozen ground have I yet found as appealing!! And note taken about clumps of deer fur...don't touch.. and don't sniff..ewww

Thanks

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool! It must have a name like Fairy Flagpoles or something like that. How beautiful!

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's called needle ice, and there's a Wikipedia entry for it! JSC

www.scienceoutsidethebox.com

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Wendy Merganser said...

Cool! Thanks Janie!

Welcome to the blog by the way. Can I offer you a beverage? Or a nice afghan? It's a little chilly in here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home